What is Snoring?
Snoring occurs during sleep when the muscles of the airway relax too much during sleep causing a normally open airway to narrow and vibrate (creating noise) when air passes in and out of the soft pallet.
Most people will snore at some time, however loud or chronic snoring can disrupt sleep-quality and disturb others. Particularly when loud, it is often associated with other sleep-related breathing disorders, such as obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA).
Sleep apnoea is a type of sleep disorder characterized by pauses in breathing or instances of shallow or infrequent breathing during sleep. Each pause in breathing can last from 10 seconds to 1 minute and may occur 5 to 30 times or more per hour.
Common Cause of Snoring
- Nasal congestion
- Swollen adenoids or tonsils, especially in children
- Swelling of the muscular part of the roof of the mouth
- Medications, including sleeping tablets
- Consumption of large amounts of alcohol
- Being overweight or obese
- Sleep position – sleeping on your back may cause your throat muscles and tongue to relax; the tongue is then more likely to fall back and compress the airway, causing snoring or making snoring louder.
How can Salt Therapy help?
Salt therapy helps relieve the symptoms of Snoring in a natural and non- invasive way.
Sitting in the Salt Rooms exposes you to tiny salt particles that cleanse and detoxify the respiratory system.
The particles enter the upper airways and lower areas of the respiratory system by breathing normally in the Salt Rooms.
1. Salt has a natural ability to absorb, and holds a natural anti-bacterial, anti – inflammatory and anti-histamine properties. These help to:
- Kill germs and bacteria that cause inflammation and production of mucus
- To improve lung function by loosening mucus and cleansing the respiratory system
- Improving breathing through the nose and sleep (diminishing snoring)
- Strengthening the immune system and reducing the use of medications.
2. Our Salt rooms contains an abundance of Negative Ions. The healing properties of Negative Ions have been researched and documented since the early 1900’s here are some of the benefits they hold:
- Relaxation, calmness and better sleep – by promoting abundant oxygen levels in the blood, negative ions help normalize brain function, resulting in relaxation, calmness and better sleep.
- Depression, Anxiety and Stress– negative ions can calm and relax the nerves by promoting abundant oxygen levels in the blood, normalizing breathing rate, decreasing blood pressure and relieving tension and stress.
- Strengthening the immune system – high levels of negative ions improve the function of the cilia in your respiratory tract that protect your lungs from irritation and inflammation, thus leading to less instances of respiratory illnesses like colds and flu, hay-fever and asthma.