What is Hay Fever?
Hay Fever (also known as Allergic Rhinitis) is an allergic inflammation of the nasal airways.
It occurs when grasses (or grass bases plants) shed their pollen into the air, and it is absorbed by individuals with a sensitized immune system.
Hay fever can be separated into two types: seasonal and perennial.
Seasonal usually occurs during pollen seasons (usually caused by allergies to grass, weed or tree pollens) and usually develops after the age of 6.
Perennial Hay Fever is felt throughout the year (usually caused by allergies to house dust mites, moulds or animal hairs). and is more commonly found in younger children.
Allergic rhinitis (hay fever) affects around 1 in 5 people in Australia and New Zealand. It can affect children and adults.
Hay Fever Symptoms
The Increase in histamine production, leads to a range and severity of symptoms which varies from person to person:
- Secretion of mucous in the bronchi (airways)
- Restricted breathing
- Bloodshot and watery and itchy eyes
- Puffy, congested or runny nose
- Inflammation in the sinus
Complications of allergic rhinitis may include:
- Sleep disturbance and Daytime tiredness
- Poor concentration
- Recurrent ear infections in children
- Recurrent sinus infections in adults
- Asthma which is more difficult to control.
How can Salt Therapy help?
Salt therapy helps relieve the symptoms of Hay Fever in a natural and non- invasive way.
Sitting in the Salt Rooms exposes you to tiny salt particles that cleanse and detoxify the respiratory system.
The particles enter the upper airways and lower areas of the respiratory system by breathing normally in the Salt Rooms.
1. Salt has a natural ability to absorb, and holds a natural anti-bacterial, anti – inflammatory and anti-histamine properties. These help to:
- Eliminates airborne pollen particles from the airways
- Reduces IgE levels in the body. IgE is the antibody involved in allergic reactions.
- Decreasing the production of mucus and amount of sneezes.
- A stronger sense of smell, improving patients sleep.
- Strengthening the immune system and reducing the use of medications/ antihistamines.
2. Our Salt rooms contain an abundance of Negative Ions. The healing properties of Negative Ions have been researched and documented since the early 1900’s here are some of the benefits they hold:
- Killing viruses, bacteria and allergens– Negative ion are proven to clear the air of dust, pollen, pet dander, mould spores and other potential allergens and significantly decrease airborne viruses and bacteria.
- Strengthening the immune system – high levels of negative ions improve the function of the cilia in your respiratory tract that protect your lungs from irritation and inflammation, thus leading to less instances of respiratory illnesses like colds and flu, hay-fever and asthma.