What is an ear infection?
An Ear Infection occurs in the small space behind the eardrum, in the middle ear, which is connected to the back of the throat.
The middle ear space sometimes becomes filled with mucus and fluid and this damp environment is a breeding ground for germs and bacteria.
Ear Infections can often occur during a cold. They can sometimes also be prompted as a result of prolonged rhinitis i.e. inflammation of the mucus membrane inside the nose as children lack the ability to blow out and release the mucus.
Most children will have an occasional ear infection which will get better quickly and are not usually serious.
A number of children who have recurrent ear infections will develop otitis media or ‘glue ear’. Glue ear is when children have sticky fluid in their middle ear behind the ear drum.
This may last for many weeks or months and often follows one or more middle ear infections. The fluid in the middle ear makes it harder for the child to hear. When this lasts for a long time hearing and speech development may be affected.
Ear Inspection Symptoms
The symptoms of an ear infection depends on the type but may include:
- Ear pain
- Temporary loss in hearing
- Cough and Nasal discharge may be present
- Itching of the outer ear
- Loss of apatite
- Vertigo (loss of balance).
How can Salt Therapy help?
Salt therapy helps relieve the symptoms of Ear infections in a natural and non- invasive way.
Sitting in the Salt Rooms exposes you to tiny salt particles that cleanse and detoxify the respiratory system and skin.
The particles enter the upper airways and lower areas of the respiratory system by breathing normally in the Salt Rooms.
1. Salt has a natural ability to absorb, and holds a natural anti-bacterial, anti – inflammatory and anti-histamine properties. These help to:
- Kill germs and bacteria that cause inflammation and production of mucus
- Break up mucus, relieve over accumulation of mucus and inflammation in the ears.
- Strengthening the immune system and reducing the use of medications
2. Our Salt rooms contain an abundance of Negative Ions. The healing Properties of Negative Ions have been researched and documented since the early 1900’s here are some of the benefits they hold:
- Killing viruses, bacteria and allergens– Negative ion are proven to clear the air of dust, pollen, pet dander, mould spores and other potential allergens and significantly decrease airborne viruses and bacteria.
- Strengthening the immune system – high levels of negative ions improve the function of the cilia in your respiratory tract that protect your lungs from irritation and inflammation, thus leading to less instances of respiratory illnesses like colds and flu, hay-fever and asthma.