What are Nasal Polyps?
Polyp is an abnormal growth of tissue that projects out from the mucous membrane.
Polyp is commonly found in the colon, stomach, nose and sinuses and they may occur elsewhere in the body where mucous membranes exist.
Nasal polyps grow in inflamed tissue of the nasal mucosa. The mucosa is a very wet layer that helps protect the inside of your nose and sinuses and humidify the air you breathe.
During an infection or allergic reaction, the nasal mucosa becomes swollen and red, and may produce fluid that drips out. With continued irritation, this mucosa may form a polyp that can block nasal passages.
The main causes for developing Nasal polyps include:
- chronic sinus infections
- allergic rhinitis (hay fever)
- cystic fibrosis
- Churg-Strauss syndrome.
Nasal Polyps Symptoms
Polyps can grow large enough to block your nasal passages, resulting in chronic congestion. Symptoms can include:
- nasal obstruction (feeling like your nose is blocked)
- runny nose
- postnasal drip (excess mucus that may run down the back of your throat)
- persistent stuffiness/congestion
- reduced sense of smell
- mouth breathing
- sense of pressure in forehead or face
How can Salt Therapy help?
Salt therapy helps relieve the symptoms of Nasal polyps in a natural and non- invasive way.
Sitting in the Salt Rooms exposes you to tiny salt particles that cleanse and detoxify the respiratory system.
The particles enter the upper airways and lower areas of the respiratory system by breathing normally in the Salt Rooms.
1. Salt has a natural ability to absorb, and holds a natural anti-bacterial, anti – inflammatory and anti-histamine properties. These help to:
- Kill germs and bacteria that cause inflammation and production of mucus
- Break up mucus, relieve over accumulation of mucus and inflammation in the whole respiratory system
- Salt therapy allows the patient to either cough/blow out the polyps or they just shrink and disappear.
- Improving breathingthrough the nose and sleep (diminishing snoring).
- Strengthening the immune system and reducing the use of medications.
2. Our Salt rooms contain an abundance of Negative Ions. The healing properties of Negative Ions have been researched and documented since the early 1900’s here are some of the benefits they hold:
- Killing viruses, bacteria and allergens– Negative ion are proven to clear the air of dust, pollen, pet dander, mould spores and other potential allergens and significantly decrease airborne viruses and bacteria.
- Strengthening the immune system – high levels of negative ions improve the function of the cilia in your respiratory tract that protect your lungs from irritation and inflammation, thus leading to less instances of respiratory illnesses like colds and flu, hay-fever and asthma.