What is Asthma?
Asthma is a chronic inflammatory condition of the airways.it affects the tubs that carry air in and out of the lungs. During an Asthma attack the muscles in the airways tighten causing the airways to become narrow and the lining of the airways swells and produces sticky mucus. These changes, create less space for the air to flow freely in and out of the lungs, making breathing very difficult. Asthma attacks are caused by an over sensitivity of the lungs to a certain “trigger” and the airways become inflamed as a result of it.
There are many different triggers for asthma, the most common ones are:
- dust mites, pollens, pets and moulds
- Cigarette smoke
- Viral infections, e.g. colds and flu
- Change in Weather / season e.g. cold air, change in temperature,
- Exercise induced Asthma
Asthma is a treatable health condition. Although at present there is no cure, with good management, people with asthma can lead normal, active lives.
- Tight feeling in the chest
- Wheezing – whistling noise when breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Struggling to breathe
- Have tummy ache and vomiting
- Become tired quickly
These symptoms are often worse at night, in the early morning or during exercise.
How can Salt Therapy help?
Salt therapy helps relieve the symptoms of asthma in a natural non- invasive way. Sitting in the Salt Rooms exposes you to tiny salt particles that cleanse and detoxify the respiratory system. The particles enter the upper airways and lower areas of the respiratory system by breathing normally in the Salt Rooms.
1. Salt has a natural ability to absorb, and holds a natural anti-bacterial, anti – inflammatory and anti-histamine properties. These help to:
- Kill germs and bacteria that cause inflammation and production of mucus
- Break up mucus, relieve congestion and inflammation in the whole respiratory system.
- Strengthening the immune system allowing ventilation system to improve that even when there is a reaction, it will reduce the symptoms to simply a runny nose or sneezing instead of an asthma attack
- Reduce need and/or use of medications.
2. Our Salt rooms contain an abundance of Negative Ions. The Healing Properties of Negative Ions have been researched and documented since the early 1900’s here are some of the benefits they hold:
- Killing viruses, bacteria and allergens– Negative ion are proven to clear the air of dust, pollen, pet dander, mould spores and other potential allergens and significantly decrease airborne viruses and bacteria.
- Relaxation, calmness and better sleep – by promoting abundant oxygen levels in the blood, negative ions help normalize brain function, resulting in relaxation, calmness and better sleep.
- Strengthening the immune system – high levels of negative ions improve the function of the cilia in your respiratory tract that protect your lungs from irritation and inflammation, thus leading to less instances of respiratory illnesses like colds and flu, hay-fever and asthma.