What is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a long-term (chronic) skin condition /disease that causes skin cells to grow too quickly, resulting in thick, white, silvery, or red patches of skin. Normally, skin cells grow gradually and flake off about every 4 weeks.
New skin cells grow to replace the outer layers of the skin as they shed. But in Psoriasis, new skin cells move rapidly to the surface of the skin in days rather than weeks.
This forms thick patches that range in size from small to large. They most often appear on the knees, elbows, scalp, hands, feet, or lower back.
Psoriasis is most common in adults. But children and teens can get it too.
What Causes Psoriasis?
Psoriasis occurs when the immune system mistakes a normal skin cell for a pathogen and sends out a faulty signal that causes overproduction of new skin cells. The body is unable to shed the new skin cells fast enough and symptoms of psoriasis occur. People with psoriasis often notice times when their skin gets worse. Things that can cause these flare-ups include:
- A cold and dry climate
- Dry skin
- And taking certain medicines.
Psoriasis is not contagious and there is currently no ‘cure’, however there are both natural and non-natural treatments available to manage symptoms.
Red, scaly patches of skin that can be sore and/or itchy. At times symptoms may improve or disappear, and other times symptoms can worsen.
How can Salt Therapy help?
Salt therapy helps relieve the symptoms of Psoriasis in a natural and non- invasive way.
Sitting in the Salt Rooms exposes you to tiny salt particles that cleanse and detoxify the respiratory system and skin
The particles enter the upper airways and lower areas of the respiratory system by breathing normally in the Salt Rooms.
1. Salt has a natural ability to absorb, and holds a natural anti-bacterial, anti – inflammatory and anti-histamine properties. These help to:
- Release the toxins and mucus from the lungs and thus reducing the need for it to be released through the skin.
- Kill germs and bacteria that cause inflammation
- increases blood flow, and improves circulation -by that encourage toxins to be expelled before they aggravate the skin
- Strengthening the immune system and reducing the use of medications and stress levels.
2. Our Salt rooms contain an abundance of Negative Ions. The healing Properties of Negative Ions have been researched and documented since the early 1900’s here are some of the benefits they hold:
- Killing viruses, bacteria and allergens– Negative ion are proven to clear the air of dust, pollen, pet dander, mould spores and other potential allergens and significantly decrease airborne viruses and bacteria.
- Depression, Anxiety and Stress– negative ions can calm and relax the nerves by promoting abundant oxygen levels in the blood, normalizing breathing rate, decreasing blood pressure and relieving tension and stress, resulting in relaxation, calmness and better sleep.
- Strengthening the immune system – high levels of negative ions improve the function of the cilia in your respiratory tract that protect your lungs from irritation and inflammation, thus leading to less instances of respiratory illnesses like colds and flu, hay-fever and asthma.