What is Eczema?
Eczema is a form of dermatitis or inflammation of the epidermis (the outer layer of the skin).
The term eczema is broadly applied to a range of persistent skin conditions and usually occurs in delicate areas- hands, feet, face, wrists, and also’ where skin folds back on itself such as on the elbows, back of the knee, and behind the ear.
Eczema often referred to as atopic dermatitis affects a significant proportion of the population, especially children, with symptoms varying from mild to severe.
Types of Eczema
There are four main types of eczema:
- Atopic eczema – hereditary and linked with hay fever and asthma.
- Allergic contact dermatitis – where the immune system overreacts to a substance that comes in contact with the skin.
- Irritant contact dermatitis – caused by frequent contact with everyday substances, which irritate the skin.
- Infantile seborrhoeic eczema – Affecting babies less than 1 years old, usually starting on the scalp and spreading to the rest of the body.
The skin, commonly referred to as the “third lung” as it helps the lungs release CO2 and waste from the body.If the lungs can’t do it well enough, the skin will compensate and release the toxins.
This may result in dryness and recurring skin rashes that are characterized by one or more of these symptoms :
Redness, skin edema (swelling),scaly and itchy, crusting, flaking, blistering, cracking, oozing, or bleeding.
How can Salt Therapy help?
Salt therapy helps relieve the symptoms of Eczema in a natural and non- invasive way.
Sitting in the Salt Rooms exposes you to tiny salt particles that cleanse and detoxify the respiratory system and skin.
The particles enter the upper airways and lower areas of the respiratory system by breathing normally in the Salt Rooms.
1. Salt has a natural ability to absorb, and holds a natural anti-bacterial, anti – inflammatory and anti-histamine properties. These help to:
- Release the toxins and mucus from the lungs and thus reducing the need for it to be released through the skin.
- Kill germs and bacteria that cause inflammation
- increases blood flow, and improves circulation -by that encourage toxins to be expelled before they aggravate the skin
- Strengthening the immune system and reducing the use of medications and stress levels.
2. Our Salt rooms contains an abundance of Negative Ions. The healing properties of Negative Ions have been researched and documented since the early 1900’s here are some of the benefits they hold:
- Killing viruses, bacteria and allergens– Negative ion are proven to clear the air of dust, pollen, pet dander, mould spores and other potential allergens and significantly decrease airborne viruses and bacteria.
- Depression, Anxiety and Stress– negative ions can calm and relax the nerves by promoting abundant oxygen levels in the blood, normalizing breathing rate, decreasing blood pressure and relieving tension and stress, resulting in relaxation, calmness and better sleep.
- Strengthening the immune system – high levels of negative ions improve the function of the cilia in your respiratory tract that protect your lungs from irritation and inflammation, thus leading to less instances of respiratory illnesses like colds and flu, hay-fever and asthma.