What are allergies?
An allergic reaction occurs when the body overreacts to a substance in the environment that is normally harmless for most people.
These substances are known as allergens or ‘triggers’ and are found in house dust mites, pets, pollen, insects, moulds, foods and some medicines.
There are several types of allergies, including hay fever, asthma, food allergies, hives and eczema.
It is believed that around 1 in 4 people are allergic to something and approximately half of all allergy sufferers are children.
What happens when you have an allergic reaction?
When a person who is allergic to a particular allergen comes into contact with it, an allergic reaction occurs. This begins when the allergen enters the body, triggering a release of certain substances, one of which is called histamine. The release of histamine is resulting in an extremely irritating and uncomfortable swelling and inflammation.
People may experience different symptoms that can vary in their level of severity.Symptoms include:Sneezing, runny nose, red, watery and itchy eyes, wheezing, coughing, sore throat, breathing problems, headaches, skin rashes, stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhea..
How can Salt Therapy help?
Salt therapy helps relieve the symptoms of Allergies in a natural and non- invasive way.
Sitting in the Salt Rooms exposes you to tiny salt particles that cleanse and detoxify the respiratory system.
The particles enter the upper airways and lower areas of the respiratory system by breathing normally in the Salt Rooms.
1. Salt has a natural ability to absorb, and holds a natural anti-bacterial, anti – inflammatory and anti-histamine properties. These help to:
- Eliminates airborne pollen particles from the airways
- Reduces IgE levels in the body. IgE is the antibody involved in allergic reactions.
- Decreasing the production of mucus and amount of sneezes.
- Release the toxins and mucus from the lungs and thus stopping the need for it to be released from the skin.
- Strengthening the immune system and reducing the use of medications/ antihistamines.
2. Our Salt rooms contain an abundance of Negative Ions. The healing Properties of Negative Ions have been researched and documented since the early 1900’s here are some of the benefits they hold:
- Killing viruses, bacteria and allergens– Negative ion are proven to clear the air of dust, pollen, pet dander, mould spores and other potential allergens and significantly decrease airborne viruses and bacteria.
- Strengthening the immune system – high levels of negative ions improve the function of the cilia in your respiratory tract that protect your lungs from irritation and inflammation, thus leading to less instances of respiratory illnesses like colds and flu, hay-fever and asthma.