What is COPD?
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease is a term that covers several lung diseases, which prevents normal breathing.
The most prevalent conditions include emphysema, chronic bronchitis and chronic asthma.
COPD is a serious, progressive and disabling condition that narrows and obstructs the airways over time reducing lung function.
The disease limits airflow to the lungs and causes severe episodes of shortness of breath, with fits of coughing.
The leading causes for COPD are:
- Tobacco smoking
- Prolonged exposure to chemicals, fumes, dust or glue.
- Childhood respiratory infections
- Chronic Asthma.
Sufferers of COPD experience episodes of shortness of breath and fits of coughing.
As opposed to asthma, where medication can have a positive effect on symptoms (and at times recover naturally), the symptoms of COPD may at times not be completely reversible, even with treatment.
- Coughing up sputum
- Cyanosis (blueness in the skin due to lack of oxygen)
- Being Susceptible to chest infections .
How can Salt Therapy help?
Salt therapy helps relieve the symptoms of COPD in a natural and non- invasive way.
Sitting in the Salt Rooms exposes you to tiny salt particles that cleanse and detoxify the respiratory system.
The particles enter the upper airways and lower areas of the respiratory system by breathing normally in the Salt Rooms.
1. Salt has a natural ability to absorb, and holds a natural anti-bacterial, anti – inflammatory and anti-histamine properties. These help to:
- Improve lung function, Loosen mucus allowing for better ventilation, decrease or eliminate shortness of breath, wheezing and congestion.
- Kill germs and bacteria that cause inflammation and production of mucus
- Improving breathing through the nose and sleep (diminishing snoring).
- Strengthening the immune system and reducing the use of medications.
- Improve daily quality of life and to prevent the disease from getting worse. (COPD is irreversible).
2. Our Salt rooms contain an abundance of Negative Ions. The healing properties of Negative Ions have been researched and documented since the early 1900’s here are some of the benefits they hold:
- Killing viruses, bacteria and allergens– Negative ion are proven to clear the air of dust, pollen, pet dander, mould spores and other potential allergens and significantly decrease airborne viruses and bacteria.
- Recovery from physical exhaustion or fatigue – by increasing oxygen levels in the blood and facilitating more efficient oxygen utilization and by normalising serotonin production in the brain, negative ions help accelerate recovery from chronic fatigue and speed up physical recovery.
- Strengthening the immune system – high levels of negative ions improve the function of the cilia in your respiratory tract that protect your lungs from irritation and inflammation, thus leading to less instances of respiratory illnesses like colds and flu, hay-fever and asthma.