What is Cystic Fibrosis
Cystic fibrosis is a common recessive genetic disorder that affects around one in 3000 people.
Sufferers of the disease have abnormal levels of excessively thick and sticky mucus within the lungs, airways and digestive system.
The excessive mucus causes impairment to vital organ function such as the lungs, pancreas, liver and intestine.
The mucus also traps bacteria in the lungs causing recurrent infections, leading to irreversible damage. Lung failure is the most common cause of death for sufferers of Cystic Fibrosis.
Cystic Fibrosis Symptoms
The usual signs and symptoms of cystic fibrosis are:
- Salty tasting skin
- Poor growth and poor weight gain despite a normal food intake
- Accumulation of thick, sticky mucus
- Frequent chest infections
- and coughing or shortness of breath.
Children with Cystic Fibrosis often suffer from repeated chest infections and breathing problems. As children with the disease get older, their lungs can be permanently damaged.
Other problems that arise with Cystic Fibrosis involve the pancreas (as mentioned) and can often lead to malnutrition. Many people with the disease are more likely to develop diabetes and liver problems later in life.
How can Salt Therapy help?
Salt therapy helps relieve the symptoms of Cystic fibrosis in a natural and non- invasive way.Sitting in the Salt Rooms exposes you to tiny salt particles that cleanse and detoxify the respiratory system.
The particles enter the upper airways and lower areas of the respiratory system by breathing normally in the Salt Rooms.
1. Salt has a natural ability to absorb, and holds a natural anti-bacterial, anti – inflammatory and anti-histamine properties. These help to:
- Kill germs and bacteria that cause inflammation and production of mucus
- Break up mucus, relieve over accumulation of mucus and inflammation in the whole respiratory system.
- Improve lung function, Loosen mucus allowing for better ventilation, decrease or eliminate shortness of breath, wheezing and congestion.
- Strengthening the immune system and reducing the use of medications
2. Our Salt rooms contain an abundance of Negative Ions. The healing properties of Negative Ions have been researched and documented since the early 1900’s here are some of the benefits they hold:
- Killing viruses, bacteria and allergens– Negative ion are proven to clear the air of dust, pollen, pet dander, mould spores and other potential allergens and significantly decrease airborne viruses and bacteria.
- Increasing metabolism and Promoting better digestion – by stimulating the exchange of electronic substances in cell walls, negative ions help increase metabolism, ease tension in the stomach and intestines, promoting the production of digestive enzymes and enhancing digestion.
- Strengthening the immune system – high levels of negative ions improve the function of the cilia in your respiratory tract that protect your lungs from irritation and inflammation, thus leading to less instances of respiratory illnesses like colds and flu, hay-fever and asthma.