What is cold and flu?
The common cold is caused by a large number of different viruses that affect the upper respiratory tract. Although more than 200 viruses can cause the common cold, the perpetrator is usually the rhinovirus, which is to blame for causing 10% to 40% of colds. You can catch a common cold from another person who is infected with the virus. This usually happens by touching a surface contaminated with cold and then touching your nose or mouth.
You can also catch a cold by encountering secretions someone with a cold has sneezed into the air. A cold begins when a cold virus attaches to the lining of your nose or throat. Your nose and throat get inflamed and produce a lot of mucus. Because your body’s energy directed at fighting the cold virus, you’re left feeling tired and miserable. Influenza, commonly known as the “flu,” is an extremely contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza A or B viruses. Flu appears most frequently in winter and early spring. The flu virus attacks the body by spreading through the upper and/or lower respiratory tract and can also result in serious health problems such as pneumonia and hospitalizations.
Cold and Flu Symptoms
The most common symptoms of a Flu are chills, fever, runny nose, sore throat, muscle pains, headache (often severe), coughing, weakness/fatigue and general discomfort. The typical symptoms of a cold include cough, runny nose, nasal congestion and a sore throat, sometimes accompanied by muscle ache, fatigue, headache and loss of appetite. In adults, a fever is generally not present but it is common in infants and young children.
- Tight feeling in the chest
- Wheezing – whistling noise when breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Struggling to breathe
- Have tummy ache and vomiting
- Become tired quickly.
How can Salt Therapy help?
Salt therapy helps relieve the symptoms of cold and flu in a natural and non- invasive way.
Sitting in the Salt Rooms exposes you to tiny salt particles that cleanse and detoxify the respiratory system.
The particles enter the upper airways and lower areas of the respiratory system by breathing normally in the Salt Rooms.
1. Salt has a natural ability to absorb, and holds a natural anti-bacterial, anti – inflammatory and anti-histamine properties. These help to:
- Break up mucus, relieve congestion and inflammation in the whole respiratory system.
- Reducing symptoms of runny nose, sore throat and clearing nasal congestion
- Kill germs and bacteria that cause inflammation and production of mucus
- Improve lung function, Loosen mucus allowing for better ventilation, decrease or eliminate shortness of breath, wheezing and congestion.
- Strengthening the immune system and reducing the use of medications.
2. Our Salt rooms contain an abundance of Negative Ions. The healing properties of Negative Ions have been researched and documented since the early 1900’s here are some of the benefits they hold:
- Killing viruses, bacteria and allergens– Negative ion are proven to clear the air of dust, pollen, pet dander, mould spores and other potential allergens and significantly decrease airborne viruses and bacteria.
- Strengthening the immune system – high levels of negative ions improve the function of the cilia in your respiratory tract that protect your lungs from irritation and inflammation, thus leading to less instances of respiratory illnesses like colds and flu, hay-fever and asthma.