What is Sinusitis?
Sinuses are located within the bones of the face in the cheeks, forehead and around the eyes. They are linked together, and connected to the nose and throat. The main functions of the sinuses is to
- Warm and moisten inhaled air before it reaches the lungs.
- And also help prevent infection by producing mucus to trap particles of dirt and other pollutants that are breathed in.
Sinusitis accrues when there is inflammation or swelling of the sinuses. Normally, the sinuses are filled with air.
When the sinuses become blocked and filled with fluid or mucus, bacteria can grow there and cause infection. This infection is sinusitis.
A sinus infection can be due to a cold, allergies (such as hay fever), and nasal polyps.
Sinusitis is categorized by headache/facial pain or pressure of a dull, constant, or aching sort over the affected sinuses.
This pain is typically localized to the involved sinus and may worsen when the affected person bends over or when lying down. Pain often starts on one side of the head and progresses to both sides.
Acute and chronic sinusitis may be accompanied by:
- Thick, yellow, foul-smelling nasal discharge
- Pressure or pain around the face and eyes
- Headache (generally in the forehead area)
- Nasal obstruction
- Post-nasal drip
- A cold that won’t go away or gets worse
- Fever or a persistent cough
- Generally feeling unwell.
How can Salt Therapy help?
Salt therapy helps relieve the symptoms of Sinusitis in a natural and non- invasive way.
Sitting in the Salt Rooms exposes you to tiny salt particles that cleanse and detoxify the respiratory system.
The particles enter the upper airways and lower areas of the respiratory system by breathing normally in the Salt Rooms.
1.Salt has a natural ability to absorb, and holds a natural anti-bacterial, anti – inflammatory and anti-histamine properties. These help to:
- Kill germs and bacteria that cause inflammation and production of mucus
- To clear the sinuses of excess mucus and clean the sinuses from germs and bacteria.
- To prevent future flare-ups of sinusitis, chronic sinusitis and eliminate the need for antibiotics.
- Improving patients sleep, strengthening the immune system and reducing the use of medications.
2. Our Salt rooms contain an abundance of Negative Ions. The healing properties of Negative Ions have been researched and documented since the early 1900’s here are some of the benefits they hold:
- Killing viruses, bacteria and allergens– Negative ion are proven to clear the air of dust, pollen, pet dander, mould spores and other potential allergens and significantly decrease airborne viruses and bacteria.
- Recovery from physical exhaustion or fatigue – by increasing oxygen levels in the blood and facilitating more efficient oxygen utilization and by normalising serotonin production in the brain, negative ions help accelerate recovery from chronic fatigue and speed up physical recovery.
- Strengthening the immune system – high levels of negative ions improve the function of the cilia in your respiratory tract that protect your lungs from irritation and inflammation, thus leading to less instances of respiratory illnesses like colds and flu, hay-fever and asthma.